stats

Thursday 27 August 2009

Aldeburgh in Suffolk



These monochrome images were taken at Aldeburgh in Suffolk. Aldebugh is a quaint seaside town that was once well-known as a fishing and boat-building town. All that has changed, though there are still lots of small boats that venture out each day and supply day visitors and hotels with fresh fish. There is nothing flash or superficially attractive about the town, but there is an undefinable late Victorian charm about the place that never seems to change.
I include these shots because monochrome images are so rare these days of digital photography.
I took this pictures with my old Rolleiflex twin-lens reflex camera. Then I scanned the negatives so that I could use them on my computer. I know that you can transform colour files into monochrome in photoshop, but I think you can't beat the the quality and tonality of the old technology. But it is becoming increasingly difficult to get films processed these days. So many printing houses are going out of business. Even laboratories that do digital prints are struggling. Many photograhers never see their images in print; they are happy just to share them on the web or to view them on digital frames.



2 comments:

  1. The monochrome does make a rther special picture Brian. We get so used to colour these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are so sharp and clear. I enjoyed viewing them in large format and looking at all the details....like the beach pebbles, and the fishing net in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete