stats

Tuesday 26 January 2010

Dr Johnson

Dr Johnson was a larger-than-life writer who lived in London in the eighteenth century. He was a robust Christian of the traditional sort. I was going through a book of quotations and came across pages devoted to his trenchant and witty sayings. I include a few here and I will add to the number as I do more research.
Talking about a disreputable man called Hervey he said: He was a vicious man, but very kind to me. If you call a dog Hervey, I shall love him
The next quotation sounds shocking to modern ears. It concerns corporal punishment in schools. He said: The rod produces an effect which terminates in itself. A child is afraid of being whipped, and gets to his task, and there's an end on it; whereas by exciting emulation and comparisons of superiority, you lay the foundation of lasting mischief; you make brothers and sisters hate each other.
I remember reading somewhere about the education of the celebrated historian Edward Gibbon, who, when asked how he got such a fluency in the classical languages, replied drily, "With many tears and a little blood." Life was tough in those days.
The next is to my mind a piece of eloquent wisdom that is applicable to all.
If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life he will soon find himself alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendships in good repair.

2 comments:

  1. As you say, life was tough in those days. Having, like you, been a teacher all my life (and missing it!) I have seen how attitudes have changed through the years towards punishment/encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spare the rod and spoil the child was a well used saying when I was young.

    Like the bit about how to not be alone.

    ReplyDelete